Back to Safe Handling of Hazardous Materials: An ASHP eReport
Managing the many hazardous substances present in the healthcare environment requires that all personnel must understand and be cognizant of the various rules, regulations, and agencies that oversee management of hazardous materials and waste. This eReport, Safe Handling of Hazardous Materials reflects the newly revised Chapter <800> guidelines on handling hazardous drugs, as well as information for handling any type of hazardous material.
The following topics are discussed:
- • The components of the Hazard Communication Standard—every employer must develop, implement, and maintain a written and comprehensive hazard communication program for its workplace and all personnel.
- • Labeling requirements for hazardous chemicals—Identifies information that every label must include (e.g., production identifier, signal word indicating hazard or danger, pictograms, hazard statement).
- • Safety Data Sheets—Include comprehensive information kept on each hazardous drug or chemical regarding handling procedures, accident and fire prevention, potential hazardous effects and emergency procedures for chemicals used in the workplace.
- • Resource Conservation and Recovery Act—provides a means of tracking hazardous waste from the point of generation to disposal and focuses on environmental and human health issues surrounding handling and disposal.
- • Handling Hazardous Chemicals— Includes guidelines for receiving, storage, compounding and preparation, waste and disposal, and accidental exposure and spills.
- • Handling Hazardous Drugs—Includes a summary of guidelines for safe handling including receiving, storage; compounding and preparation; final product labeling; medication transport and delivery; cleaning, decontamination, and housekeeping; accidental exposures and spills; medical surveillance, and quality assurance documentation.
Also included in the eReport are references, an appendix of safety data sheet terms, a competence checklist and a competency assessment exam with corresponding answer key.