Back to Pharmacy Calculations: An Introduction for Pharmacy Technicians, 2nd Edition
Comprehensive Resource for Pharmacy Technician Learners of All Types
Offering a complete review of the basic mathematics concepts and skills, Pharmacy Calculations: An Introduction for Pharmacy Technicians, 2nd Edition provides students with the pharmacy basics necessary for correctly interpreting prescriptions and drug orders, and for performing dosing calculations that technicians face every day.
The second edition has been streamlined to focus on the most important pharmacy calculation concepts—covering the fundamentals related to accuracy and basic math operations, units of measurement and conversions, critical thinking in problem solving, dosing calculations, percentages, concentration calculations, compounding formulas, intravenous infusion calculations, and business math.
Who Should Read This?
Pharmacy technician students enrolled in a training program, technicians preparing for the certification exam, and for those participating in on-site training.
Inside the New Edition
The chapters are broken down into four units and organized to complement most pharmacy technician training curricula and to support the ASHP—ACPE model curriculum:
- Review of Mathematics
- Systems of Measurement
- Preparing for Problem Solving in Pharmacy
- Dosing Calculations and other Pharmacy Problems
Key features throughout the book include:
- Chapter objectives
- Key terms and definitions
- Examples of problem scenarios or calculations questions and solutions
- "Tech Note!" – provides a highlight of key points within the chapters
- "Numbers at Work" – illustrates why key concepts are important to know and skills are critical to master
- Practice problems
- Appendices that include the parts of a prescription, a glossary of terms, conversions, and abbreviations tables